Beside the Holocaust Memorial Center in Budapest, there are only six institutions in the world established by states dealing with the Holocaust: the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum, the Yad Vashem in Jerusalem, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, the Mémorial de la Shoah in Paris, the House of the Wannsee Conference in Berlin and the Imperial War Museum in London.
The Holocaust Memorial Center has been established as a public foundation in 1999. In 2002, the government decided to construct the museum in Pava Street, outside of the traditional Jewish quarter, emphasizing its character as a national site for remembrance.
On December 16 2002, the foundation stone was laid and the restoration works of the dilapidated Synagogue started.
On April 16 2004, the Holocaust Memorial Center was officially opened by staging its first exhibition, the Holocaust Album.
Since February 21 2006, the permanent exhibition “From Deprivation of Rights to Genocide” is displayed, explaining the history of Holocaust in Hungary to visitors.
The Synagogue in Pava Street used to be the second largest Synagogue in Budapest. Its rabbi himself became the victim of the Holocaust.
The six pillars in the courtyard of the building symbolize the six millions of victims of the Holocaust in Hungary, among them the more than 500,000 Hungarian fatalities.
On the 8 meters high Memorial Wall, names of more than 150,000 identified victims are engraved by laser into glass.
On the Tower of Lost Communities, names of 1441 settlements where the Jewish community was annihilated are displayed. The names are engraved according to the toponymic dictionary from 1941. The twelve special glass panes were designed by graphic artist László Zsótér and decorate the Tower since April 16 2007.